The Cornhole Game Player's Community

R.I.P. CGP…

Anything & everything cornhole related goes in here. Favorite stories, your personal slang, playing tips, etc.

R.I.P. CGP…

Postby Luv2skyski on Wed Feb 15, 2017 9:34 am

After fumbling my way through building my first set of cornhole boards I stumbled across this website looking for advice and instruction. I joined just over 2 years ago and it’s incredible the amount I’ve learned from this forum. I’ve only built one set of boards (the Milky way) in that time but still planning on building more.

I do realize I got to the party late but it’s sad that CGP seems to be going by the wayside.
It’s been a solid month and no one has made a post.

I guess just wanted to say thank-you to everyone who has posted their thoughts and feelings, their processes and pictures of their boards, their instruction and techniques.

Sincerely, Dave.
Last edited by Luv2skyski on Wed Feb 15, 2017 1:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
4 out of 3 people have trouble with fractions.
Luv2skyski
Cornhole Player
Cornhole Player

Re: R.I.P. CGP…

Postby pharaoh on Wed Feb 15, 2017 11:31 am

I made the same observation about a year and a half ago in July 2015. Back then my thought was that cornhole had reached it's peak in many areas, and, as the fad it is, was in decline to some extent. While it is still a popular pastime for many, there doesn't seem to be the same call for new boards and bags that there was a couple of years ago. This past year I had exactly zero orders for boards during the Christmas season and zero orders for bags. Last summer was very slow compared to previous years as well.

I suspect that this coming year may be a repeat of the last. I'll have to make a decision in the coming months regarding my website and whether or not to renew the domain name and keep the website active. It's not an expense I want to have if there isn't the business to justify the cost especially since I want to build a website to sell the cutting boards and pepper and salt mills that I make. Even not having a website for them, my sales are doing well through the arts/crafts shows and markets I participate in. I'd much rather devote my time time turning peppermills than making cornhole boards.
http://www.coastalcarolinacornhole.com

Jersey born Smartass. And proud of it!
pharaoh
Cornhole Addict
Cornhole Addict

Postby chevellesb406 on Mon Feb 20, 2017 10:50 am

I am still busy building out in So Cal, but there isn't exactly market saturation out here, a majority of people still are not aware of the game really, however, I am starting to ship further and further as my radius of say 50 miles is saturated by my past 7 years of building or so, all the low hanging fruit is gone. I really miss seeing what everyone was up to, but I understand the reluctance to post photos, I don't really want to myself, I don't feel like paying for the rope to hang me with, but what I do say as I post whenever anyone really does anymore, is I am always willing to help with a bit of advice if I can be, I am not the expert here, Pharaoh has helped me a ton in the past, Smash and Milky as well, but a couple hundred sets under my belt so newbies please don't hesitate to ask, sometimes a simple tip can make a major problem go away, I lucky to receive several over the years. I hope everyone is doing well and take care.

-Tom
chevellesb406
Cornhole Addict
Cornhole Addict

Postby hondo on Mon Mar 27, 2017 5:31 pm

Once again, I must disagree. Cornhole is no fad. I've sold 9 sets in the last 12 days, and that's not too shabby, considering that the temperature around here (DE) has only gone above 60 once all month long and the wind has blown out of the north like a wild banshee for 3 weeks in a row. If you're not selling anything...well, I dunno...???...I have an order pending for 10 sets this Tuesday. Whether or not it actually happens is anyone's guess, but the customer has been to see me in person twice so far, so I'm hopeful about wrapping it up.

Cornhole continues to explode. There are leagues and tournaments everywhere around here now. My sales were off this X-mas, too, but they picked up in February and continued thru March, and that usually doesn't happen. I'm still a believer ....this thing hasn't died out yet by any means. No way.
hondo
Cornhole Veteran
Cornhole Veteran

Postby hondo on Thu Mar 30, 2017 5:48 pm

While you guys are singing a cornhole death knell. I sold 14 sets in the last 3 days alone....previous personal record was 13 sets in one weekend - I believe it was just prior to July 4th of last year...The 10 set order I mentioned above went through, thankfully. Believe me, I'm not trying to throw it in your face, or one-up anybody, or brag on myself, but this thing is alive and well here and I expect it to continue. I have a good following, and renting shop space in a high traffic retail location has been a game changer for me. I get a fair share of exposure daily, and even though I also get a ton of "tire kickers" who waste my time, they help get the word out.

As for this board, I'd like to see it more active again too. Whatever I can do to contribute, I will. This place was a big help to me early on and I'd hate to see it just fade out.
hondo
Cornhole Veteran
Cornhole Veteran

Postby Jeremy on Tue Jun 06, 2017 10:23 am

Sad, but sort of true... CGP was born in 2006, and quickly found an audience. Things grew and grew and grew until about 2012. That was the point when Google decided to give more juice to corporate sites and bury sites like this. Traffic was cut in half, literally overnight. I tried everything I could to keep reaching out to the audience, but the powers that be were working against me. Since 2012, the bubble of the cornhole industry popped, for sure. Most of the sites who once purchased ad space here are no longer even running. I've talked with a lot of the bigger wholesale sites, and the ones that didn't die are doing far less business than in the glory days.

The lifeblood of this site has always been the amazing balance between new builders and seasoned pros. Even with the growth of better, easier ways to share pictures and information (Facebook, Instagram, Pinterest), the communication and advice here was second to none. At one point this was a top searched site on the internet for Polycrylic. True story. ha

The popularity of the game seems to be holding strong, but the wealth of building plans, tips, and info has become spread all over the net. Harder to get people here these days. I can't say that I've done much to help it, either. 12 years is a long time, and my life & focuses have changed immensely since I cobbled this site together. I just don't have the time I once did to keep up on things. Sad, but true.

The site always came in waves. A group of chatty builders at any time would get new people posting and chatting and sharing. That could easily happen again, just takes a spark. We'll see!
Jeremy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Jeremy on Tue Jun 06, 2017 10:28 am

Side note: This site has always been a tough one to maintain, too, because of the seasonality of the sport. Even at peak popularity, the site would DIE from November to April. It's sooooooo hard to relight the fire every year and get people to come back and chat. Uphill battle, for sure.
Jeremy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby pharaoh on Fri Jun 09, 2017 7:32 am

While some here may still have lots of business as far as building boards goes in different parts of the country, it's dying or dead in other places. While still very popular here, people are buying very few new sets overall. Same with bags. I gave thought to not renewing my website later this summer but have decided to renew for one more year because I still have about 1000 lbs of resin for the bags left. However, once that is gone I'll fold it up and devote all my time to my other interests now that I have a great retail outlet for my cutting boards and Pepper mills. I simply cannot get my head around building cornhole boards any longer. Any new orders, and there are still enough to make it somewhat worthwhile, it's a major effort to get motivated enough to turn them out like I used to. This is my 8th year and I'm beyond burned out on cornhole.

It's been fun and I made some money but it gets harder and harder to see a profit. I haven't raised my prices in a few years but the cost of goods has kept going up. While I have gotten a fairly decent price for my boards, the local market at least, won't pay much more than I already charge.
http://www.coastalcarolinacornhole.com

Jersey born Smartass. And proud of it!
pharaoh
Cornhole Addict
Cornhole Addict

Postby Jeremy on Fri Jun 09, 2017 10:12 am

I"m in the same boat as far as broadening interests. I spend most of my time remodeling the houses I inhabit, so hobby work like cornhole boards falls to the backburner. I use a TON of the skills I've learned here from all of the builders for a variety of my projects, but they just aren't specific to Cornhole the way they used to be.

Another major factor in chat decline here is the simple fact that there is a LOT of great info here already. Hard to ask new questions. If you know how to find it, the answer probably already existed. So people don't chime in as often.
Jeremy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Return to General Cornhole Discussion