The Cornhole Game Player's Community

Kreg jig with 1/2 tops

A new section for any "how to" information or photos, as well as any pictures you might take while you're building your boards.

Please post finished board pictures in the Photo Gallery section.

Re: Kreg jig with 1/2 tops

Postby Louis Clarke II on Sun Jan 05, 2014 2:38 pm

It takes some trial and error to get it dialed in.
Louis Clarke II
Cornhole Addict
Cornhole Addict

Postby Djsaffer on Mon Jan 06, 2014 8:20 pm

Louis Clarke II wrote:It takes some trial and error to get it dialed in.

Sure did. I think the key was turning the choke way down on the cordless drill.
Djsaffer
Cornhole Player
Cornhole Player

Postby Wild Willys on Sat Mar 08, 2014 8:36 am

You guys are GREAT. I set my new Kreg jig to 3/4 and the collar a little short of 3/4 and the 1" screws work PERFECT!! Thanks for the help
Wild Willys
Cornhole Rookie
Cornhole Rookie

Postby ajax25 on Mon Feb 15, 2016 3:14 pm

Hi guys, I've been using this forum for awhile now (started building boards about 6 months ago) but this is the first time I've felt the need to post and ask a question. I've been doing the whole screws in from the top then putty and sand but just bought a Kreg jig and of course want to use it for boards. I get setting the jig at the right depth so the screw doesn't pop through the top of the boards and from what I've read glue is a must when using a jig so i may have a stupid question but want to clarify before I make a huge mess haha. So you put glue on then put the plywood down on the base and then screw it in basically just to tighten everything down and make it nice and sturdy? This will be my first time using both the jig and wood glue on a set of cornhole boards. Thanks for any help in advance!
ajax25
Cornhole Rookie
Cornhole Rookie

Postby johnnyg08 on Fri Jul 01, 2016 9:54 pm

ajax25 wrote:Hi guys, I've been using this forum for awhile now (started building boards about 6 months ago) but this is the first time I've felt the need to post and ask a question. I've been doing the whole screws in from the top then putty and sand but just bought a Kreg jig and of course want to use it for boards. I get setting the jig at the right depth so the screw doesn't pop through the top of the boards and from what I've read glue is a must when using a jig so i may have a stupid question but want to clarify before I make a huge mess haha. So you put glue on then put the plywood down on the base and then screw it in basically just to tighten everything down and make it nice and sturdy? This will be my first time using both the jig and wood glue on a set of cornhole boards. Thanks for any help in advance!

Yes, that's my understanding as well.
johnnyg08
Cornhole Rookie
Cornhole Rookie

Postby Louis Clarke II on Tue Jul 12, 2016 8:04 am

You must use clamps in concert with the screw and glue. Makes for a nice tight fit

Louis Clarke II
Cornhole Addict
Cornhole Addict

Postby Cornpone on Mon Feb 05, 2018 7:14 am

I got a Kreg micro kit for Christmas. I have never used pocket screws before. I had no idea where to set the collar. There wasn’t a setting guide. I use 1/2 Tops with 1x4 sides to reduce weight. Home Depot has a scrap cart of wood for free..... I picked up a piece of 1/2 inch plywood (already had a piece of 1x4) to practice on. So..... out of the blue I set the collar at the very top of the drill flutes and started there. Much to my surprise it was the perfect setting for the 1x4 to the 1/2 inch top deck using a 1 INCH course pocket screw. It also is the perfect setting to join the 1x4 sides to each other in the corners using 1 1/4 INCH course pocket screws. Couldn’t believe it. Hope this setting info helps you. I really like this method over drilling, counter sinking, wood filling and sanding.
One thing though...... the KREG Micro “Kit” didn’t have a driver for the pocket screws!!
Excuse me but, shouldn’t a “kit” include a driver???

Btw.... I haven’t signed in here since May of 2007. Retired now. First boards I’ve made in 11 years. Didn’t realize how much I missed it.....
Cornpone
Cornhole Player
Cornhole Player

Previous

Return to Tutorials and "How To's"