The Cornhole Game Player's Community

Building Instructions: Very Basic Board

Want to build your own boards? Looking for basic building instructions? Have a question on how to do it just the right way? Check in here for discussion on the various board and bag making techniques.

Building Instructions: Very Basic Board

Postby glorified j on Tue May 30, 2006 8:46 am

Here's a very basic way to build a couple of boards. A separate thread with story & concerns to follow.

Instructions to build a very basic set of boards

Cut 2 pieces of plywood to 4'x2' for the board faces

Cut 2 pieces of wood to around 13.5" x 2' to use as the back leg of the board

Screw the back leg directly to the bottom of the board, creating an upside down 'V' shape, with one long edge (the board face), and one short edge (the back leg)

That's it!
Last edited by glorified j on Tue May 30, 2006 8:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
glorified j
Cornhole Addict
Cornhole Addict

Story, Pros, Cons

Postby glorified j on Tue May 30, 2006 8:53 am

Up camping over the weekend, I saw a group of guys pull out a couple of cornhole boards and start playing. I was quite a ways away, and they were in a pretty isolated area, so I couldn't just casually stroll by to check out exactly how they'd made their boards, but they were so simple that I think I've got a pretty good grasp on it.

The instructions are posted above this post (obviously).

(pros) -- These boards would be insanely easy to build
-- Hauling these boards would be very easy (light, thin)
-- Building costs would be low. (less wood & materials)

(cons) -- They wouldn't be very sturdy, as they just have one leg in the back
-- The font of the board is touching the ground, so many rules people usually play by would not apply.

Would do the rest of you think about this? I actually chose not to take my boards along this weekend because I didn't want to have to worry about wet ground, and rain damage. These guys had a cheap-o set that they could haul easily and not worry too much about. In my mind, they win.
glorified j
Cornhole Addict
Cornhole Addict

Postby mheidenr on Tue May 30, 2006 9:52 am

You didn't mention the thickness of the plywood but if it's 1/2" like what normally appears on cornhole boards then I would imagine the boards would have an awful bounce. Could possible combat the bounce by using 3/4" or even 1" plywood.
mheidenr
Cornhole Addict
Cornhole Addict

Postby glorified j on Tue May 30, 2006 10:34 am

i was pretty far away, but I'd be willing to be on a cheap-o set like that it would have probably been 1/2 instead of 3/4 ply.

The size may have also been 3x2 instead of 4x2 boards, that would reduce the bounce, too, and if all rules are out the window, board size woulnd't matter so much to them.
glorified j
Cornhole Addict
Cornhole Addict

Postby andygriff1975 on Wed May 31, 2006 4:35 am

Easy set of boards:

Show up to a large tailgate. Spot a group that has cornhole boards. Grap them and run like hell!

Not recommended at this time!
I'm the Cal Ripken Jr. of Cornhole Players.net. I just show up every day and do my job.
andygriff1975
Cornhole Pro
Cornhole Pro

Return to Building & Customization