The Cornhole Game Player's Community

Building Instructions: Basic Box Style

Want to build your own boards? Looking for basic building instructions? Have a question on how to do it just the right way? Check in here for discussion on the various board and bag making techniques.

Building Instructions: Basic Box Style

Postby glorified j on Thu May 11, 2006 12:03 pm

Materials

Standard 4'x8' plywood. 1/2" thick recommended. (Anything thicker is too heavy and thinner is too easy to break by a moron jumping on it!)
15'-20' 2"x2" (used internally for support, so specific lengths aren't a big deal and are cut smaller than 1', so misc pieces will work fine)
Safety glasses
Tape measure
4' long straight edge (preferably a framing square)
Pencil for marking the cutting lines
Table saw OR circular saw OR hand saw (if all you have is a hand saw, GOOD LUCK!)
RotoZip, sabre saw, or equivalent for cutting large holes in plywood.
Box of 1" or 1-1/2" wood screws (you can use nails, but screws are more secure)
Electric Drill
Mitre Saw (optional)
Cutting the 8'x4' Plywood
All the required pieces to build BOTH goals can be cut from the single sheet of 8'x4' plywood.

Click here to see the plywood cutting design

For best results, make all these cuts with either a table saw or a circular saw with a long straight edge guide. Also, keep in mind that you will lose about 1/8" of material from the cut, so cut out each section individually. The blue diagonally "hatched" section of the design is the only scrap you'll have!

Goal Design
The following layout shows how all the pieces fit together and where to cut out the hole:

Click here to see the deisgn from the side, top, and front view

There are two steps required to take the pieces from the cut plywood step and get them ready for assembly. First, take the two 1'-11" x 11 1/2" pieces and the two 1'-11" x 3 1/4" pieces and cut a 10° angle off the top edge of each piece. This will allow the playing surface to rest firmly against the frame of the goal. The next step is to cut the holes in both playing surfaces. I used a compass to draw the 6" diameter holes and borrowed a RotoZip tool from a friend of mine to make the cut. I'm definitely not a carpenter, but I'm sure there's better ways to do it.

That's it.

Thanks to http://www.suttmann.com/cornhole.php for compiling these directions!
Last edited by glorified j on Sat Aug 19, 2006 12:10 pm, edited 2 times in total.
glorified j
Cornhole Addict
Cornhole Addict

Re: Building Instructions: Basic Box Style

Postby autoregular on Thu Jun 08, 2006 3:50 pm

glorified j wrote:15'-20' 2"x2" (used internally for support, so specific lengths aren't a big deal and are cut smaller than 1', so misc pieces will work fine)

What do people generally use for the extra support underneath? I've seen 1x2's used, too. Any major difference?

How do you usually arrange these underneath? Running the length of the board, or in pieces?

glorified j wrote:First, take the two 1'-11" x 11 1/2" pieces and the two 1'-11" x 3 1/4" pieces and cut a 10° angle off the top edge of each piece. This will allow the playing surface to rest firmly against the frame of the goal.[/url]

Anybody have an easy workaround for this step, or something that can be done with pretty basic tools?

Thanks guys, I am planning to build a box soon, and would just like to know what's up first!
autoregular
Cornhole Player
Cornhole Player

Postby glorified j on Fri Jun 16, 2006 8:30 am

Hey all. I'm building my first box style set this weekend. Just wondering if anybody had any answers to autoregulars post above, I'd be curious to know, too.

thx

--J
What to say, what to say... Nothing said? What a waste. -- E. Vedder
glorified j
Cornhole Addict
Cornhole Addict

Postby osuguy0301 on Fri Jun 16, 2006 10:53 am

I am not using any supports for mine that I am building. I am using 2"x4"s for the frame & folding legs and 1/2" sanded oak for the top. That should be plenty sturdy enough. Even if you use just 1/2" sanded plywood it should be fine. I would be afraid that supports would make the board play completely dead, JMO.

OSU
osuguy0301
Cornhole Player
Cornhole Player

Re: Building Instructions: Basic Box Style

Postby Billy88 on Tue Apr 02, 2013 11:10 pm

Depending on our customers’ needs, we can run a combination of these boxes or create a custom box style. Although those listed here are the most common, they are by no means the only ones we are able to produce. If you don’t see the exact style you are looking for in this extensive list, please contact us and we will help you find whatever you need.
Last edited by Billy88 on Wed Apr 03, 2013 12:48 am, edited 2 times in total.
Billy88
Cornhole Rookie
Cornhole Rookie

Re:

Postby tobey_maguire on Tue Apr 02, 2013 11:14 pm

osuguy0301 wrote:I am not using any supports for mine that I am building. I am using 2"x4"s for the frame & folding legs and 1/2" sanded oak for the top. That should be plenty sturdy enough. Even if you use just 1/2" sanded plywood it should be fine. I would be afraid that supports would make the board play completely dead, JMO.

OSU

I also...!!!
tobey_maguire
Cornhole Rookie
Cornhole Rookie

Return to Building & Customization