The Cornhole Game Player's Community

Building Instructions: Open Sided Board & Bags

Want to build your own boards? Looking for basic building instructions? Have a question on how to do it just the right way? Check in here for discussion on the various board and bag making techniques.

Building Instructions: Open Sided Board & Bags

Postby glorified j on Thu May 11, 2006 8:31 am

Found these instructions for building a basic, open-sided, cornhole board, with locked legs. Instructions for bags here, too. Enjoy!

Parts List

Qty
Description

2 24" x 48" sheets of plywood (1/2 or 5/8 inch)
4 8 ft - 2 x 4's
8 4" carriage bolts + washers + wingnuts
16 10d nails (10 penny, 3 inch)
28 Drywall screws
18 Cups of whole kernel feed corn (enough for 8 cornbags). I was able to find this at Tractor Supply Company (smallest bag was 50 lbs but was still only $5).
16 7"x7" cloth squares for cornbags (enough for 8 cornbags). Depending on how many bags you want each player to throw (either two or four), select the fabric colors accordingly.
1 Quart can of any color high gloss paint (won't need the whole quart)
1 Person who can sew the bags for you

Instructions

Tools: Circular saw, jigsaw, drill, various bits, phillips head adapter, hammer, paint brush, sewing machine.

On each of the sheets of plywood, measure 9 inches down from the top and 12 inches from the side and make a pencil mark. This will mark the center of a 6 inch diameter hole to cut out of the plywood. Use a compass or whatever else you can find to scribe a circle on the plywood and then use a jigsaw to cut out the circle.

Cut two of the three 2 x 4's into 4 foot lengths. Cut another one of the 2 x 4's into four 21" lengths. This will give you eight pieces of 2 x 4: 4 - 48 " pieces and 4 - 21" pieces.

Use those pieces to build two 48" x 24" rectangles using two 10 penny nails at each corner (note the side view picture for orientation of the 2 x 4's.

Attach one sheet of plywood to each 2 x 4 frame, using drywall screws. I used four across the top and four across the bottom evenly spaced. Down each side I put a screw about every 12 inches. Counter-sink the screws slightly so that the bags will not snag.

Now it's time for the detachable legs. From the remaining 2 x 4, cut four pieces each 12 inches in length. Given my lack of a protractor, I cannot tell you the exact angle cut that is necessary on the top part of the leg. Reference the side view to determine how to cut this angle. The critical measurement is the resulting height of the high side of the platform. I used a box to lift the high side to the correct height and then held the leg up to the side, scribed a cut angle and then cut the leg.

The legs will be attached to the main board using 4" carriage bolts. Here again, I used the box to lift the high side to the correct height and then I drilled though the leg and the side of the platform. Widening the holes in the legs will make putting the legs on a bit easier.

Fasten the legs to the platform using pairs of carriage bolts + washers + wingnuts. Detachable legs makes for nicer storage.

I used two coats of paint. Using the high gloss paint resulted in a surface that "slides" but is not so slippery that it allows the bags to slide back down the platform.

To assemble the bags, take two of the 7" x 7" fabric squares and sew a quarter inch seam on three sides. Fill each bag with 2.25 cups of corn. Sew the last open side of the bag. Double stitch each bag on all four sides. The bags do take a beating.

As found at http://members.tripod.com/MichaelBrungs/cornhole.htm
Last edited by glorified j on Tue Jun 20, 2006 11:24 am, edited 2 times in total.
glorified j
Cornhole Addict
Cornhole Addict

Postby autoregular on Sat May 13, 2006 12:35 pm

If anyone would like a little elaboration on the instructions above, it looks like the people on this site used the same process, with just a few minor changes

http://www.kevincooney.com/archives/000040.php
autoregular
Cornhole Player
Cornhole Player

Variations

Postby glorified j on Tue May 30, 2006 8:59 am

My uncle just built a set like this (pictures soon to appear in the gallery on the main page).

2 differences:

1. He framed the board with 2x2's instead of 2x4's. Doing this, made the board a lot lighter and easier to lug around, and probably saves a little $$ on the smaller pieces of wood. On the downside, 2x2's require you to have to build some sort of front leg to get up to 4"

2. He put the front and back legs on hinges (check out the pictures) Hinges might make the box a little less stable, but make it great to be albe to fold up smaller.

Here's the pix:

glorified j
Cornhole Addict
Cornhole Addict

Postby glorified j on Tue Jun 20, 2006 11:31 am

Also, forgot to mention above, he used velcro to keep the legs folded up when it's being hauled around. Small touch, but works great!
What to say, what to say... Nothing said? What a waste. -- E. Vedder
glorified j
Cornhole Addict
Cornhole Addict

Postby Jeremy on Sat Oct 21, 2006 12:11 pm

**POST MOVED BY ADMIN - INFORMATION ALREADY IN THE FORUMS**

Corn Cob wrote:Here Is A Link, Where I Got My Plans To Build My Boards
http://members.tripod.com/michaelbrungs/cornhole.htm
Jeremy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Building Instructions: Open Sided Board & Bags

Postby Fatback on Wed Jan 14, 2009 7:39 pm

can anyone tell me the total dimensions for mini cornhole boards? Ihave 2 in bags coming from ebay alot of sights tell me 10''x 5'' but idont know how big the hole should be or the front or back,HELP??
Fatback
Cornhole Rookie
Cornhole Rookie

Postby Milky on Wed Jan 14, 2009 11:41 pm

I would think you just shrink it dimesionally until you like it. I've seen sites that sell them at 6" x 9", 10" x 5", 11" x 6" etc etc. There's no official size.

What size bags did you order? That could be a big help. Since you've already paid for the bags, why not do everything to scale using them as your reference? For example, regulation bags are 6" x 6", and regulation holes are 6" in diameter. If the bags you get are 2" x 2", then make your hole 2" in diameter, which would make your boards 8" x 16".

Did that make sense?
Regulation:
6" square bags. 24" x 48" platform. 6" hole.
Divide by 3 because your mini bags are a thrid the size of regulation bags, and work from there.
Mini:
2" square bags. 8" x 16" platform. 2" hole.
Philly Cornhole
www.Phillycornhole.Webs.com
For the highest quality, and best value, come to Philly Cornhole
Milky
CGP Hall of Fame
CGP Hall of Fame

Postby Jackson Van Buren on Fri Mar 13, 2009 2:18 am

heh, hitting that tripod link reminded me of the first set I ever built. When I first saw them, naturally I assumed "top view" meant an xy plane projection, -not "looking normally at the 2' by 4' playing surface," which is an oblique view. So i did some math and built my first boards from some particle board that was lying around, -which ended up being too long because I misinterpreted the "top" view.

Ahhh...to all, please be careful when throwing around reserved terminology as above.
Jackson Van Buren
Cornhole Addict
Cornhole Addict

Postby anntaylor on Mon Aug 02, 2010 3:49 am

where is the damn images...?
anntaylor
Cornhole Rookie
Cornhole Rookie

Return to Building & Customization