The Cornhole Game Player's Community

polycrylic question, which gloss

Want to build your own boards? Looking for basic building instructions? Have a question on how to do it just the right way? Check in here for discussion on the various board and bag making techniques.

polycrylic question, which gloss

Postby opuntia on Sat Dec 13, 2008 5:34 pm

what gloss of polycrylic is most commonly used here, gloss, semi-gloss, or satin?

Thanks!
opuntia
Cornhole Rookie
Cornhole Rookie

Re: polycrylic question, which gloss

Postby Evil Elf on Tue Dec 16, 2008 4:17 pm

I am VERY interested to see people's thoughts on this one as well. I am using glossy on my first set.
- Evil
Evil Elf
Cornhole Addict
Cornhole Addict

Postby Milky on Tue Dec 16, 2008 9:17 pm

Well, I'll be honest here and I am also very curious to see people's responses.
I built my first set before finding this website. I was basically "Googling" the words "build cornhole boards" and there were many different answers to this question. Some people said use poly. Some said lacquer. Some said paste wax. Some said bowling alley wax, and the answers went on and on.
I was skeptical about polying because I had bad experiences in the past with my artsy craftsy woodworking projects. So, I chose to use several coats of paste wax on my first set. The set wasn't pretty, but it got the job done. It seemed to have the right amount of slide during game play. The game took off like crazy with my friends and many of my friends made sets and poly'd them. Believe it or not, the game play and slickness were almost the same as my waxed set.
Then I found this site and everyone said poly. So, the next custom set I did, I used a high gloss poly. The slide was fast but very playable. I was then fortunate enough to find out that my new next door neighbor had a whole body shop in his garage out back, so my next two sets were done with whatever cler-coat you use to finish cars off with. They looked PERFECT! No brush marks at all and I could throw them in the pool and they'd still be fine. They wre very slick though. A little too slick if you ask me. I did the whole slide measuring thing where you measure the angle that you have to tilt your board at before your bags start to slide, and they were in the acceptable range.
However, I felt bad asking him to do more and more boards for me. Now, I just use 3 coats of Minwax water-based Polycrlyic in the light blue can, in "Clear gloss". It does not yellow. It does not bubble up. It gives a high gloss finish and the slide is perfect. I don't do any sanding in between coats at all. I use those cheapy foam brushes and use the least amount of strokes as possible.
Look, maybe I'm completely wrong, but it seems to me that a good throw is always a good throw. I've played on some really fast boards before and it was obvious that if you are a player that shoots for singles rather than 3 pointers, you had to arc a little bit more. But, it was not much of a difference. I say, do your boards how you like them, and have fun playing. I'm sure that some people here are gonna call me crazy and that's fine with me. Just my humble opinion. Sorry about the long post :D
Philly Cornhole
www.Phillycornhole.Webs.com
For the highest quality, and best value, come to Philly Cornhole
Milky
CGP Hall of Fame
CGP Hall of Fame

Postby Haystack on Sun Apr 19, 2009 1:56 pm

I also just began using the Minwax Polycrlic in the light blue can. The stuff is perfect.

It goes on a little white at first, but it settles nicely. No sanding for me either. Makes the board nice a slick. I just made some boards and painted on the General Lee Dukes of Hazzard design, and this stuff did great. Its $16 a can but really goes a long long way.

I've heard people mention they don't want it to slide....maybe horseshoes is more your game then.
Haystack
Cornhole Player
Cornhole Player

Postby Mitch on Mon Apr 20, 2009 12:38 pm

Ahhh - the old poly question!

I use both polycrylic, and polyurethane, it depends what colors Im covering up. I tried the gloss finish once, and wont use it anymore. I found that when it was the middle of a really sunny day, the gloss actually was to glossy and shiny, and made it hard to see the board.

I now use semi-gloss finish in each product. I must be over doing it down here, I use anywhere from 7-10 coats of each product before I deliver the boards.

Milky - I tried the foam brush with crylic, and found it was a good way to do it, but it applies the crylic really thin. I just use a real nice 4" bristle brush. Hope all is well brother!

- Mitch
Duke Blue Devils
2014 NCAA Men's Lacrosse Champions
2014 NCAA Women's Golf Champions
4 time NCAA Men's Basketball Champions
Go to Hell Carolina
Mitch
Cornhole Addict
Cornhole Addict

Postby Milky on Mon Apr 20, 2009 1:03 pm

Mitch, you hit the nail on the head. My poly goes on so thin with thos foam brushes, and it's honestly a pain to do so many coats. You wanna know why I use them? They're cheap, they get the job done, they require no clean-up b/c I just toss them in the trash, and the poly goes on smooth. What do you use to clean your brush after polying? Thanks buddy.

P.S. Things are going really well. I'll have some new board pics upped in a day or two. Hope things are well in your world, too.

Milky
Philly Cornhole
Milky
CGP Hall of Fame
CGP Hall of Fame

Postby Mitch on Tue Apr 21, 2009 5:29 am

Milky,

If Im using crylic, it's water based, so I just rinse the brush out with warm water and soap. I use cheap brushes when I'm using urethane, but wrap the brush in tinfoil between coats so it doesnt dry out. Once Im done, I throw the brush away.

Im finishing a set this week, with crylic - I'll get a picture to ya!

- Mitch
Duke Blue Devils
2014 NCAA Men's Lacrosse Champions
2014 NCAA Women's Golf Champions
4 time NCAA Men's Basketball Champions
Go to Hell Carolina
Mitch
Cornhole Addict
Cornhole Addict

Postby Milky on Tue Apr 21, 2009 6:44 am

Mitch, as always, thanks.
Philly Cornhole
Milky
CGP Hall of Fame
CGP Hall of Fame

Postby fhinsfan on Mon Jul 26, 2010 2:53 am

I just put some vinyl wraps on top of my boards i was told to put polycrlic on them to help protect.i was just wondering which kind should i use and how do i apply it. Thanks oh yea is there a place you post pics of your boards
fhinsfan
Cornhole Rookie
Cornhole Rookie

Postby fhinsfan on Mon Jul 26, 2010 3:27 am

i also forgot to tell you that my wraps are the whole board so i have no wood showing
fhinsfan
Cornhole Rookie
Cornhole Rookie

Postby yerfdog22 on Sat Jul 31, 2010 11:36 am

I'm new to the site, but have been building for two years and experimented with many things. What I have found is minwax makes a wipe on poly. If you buy the regular poly, you can cut it. I start out with a 70/30 ratio. By doing a wipe on...no brush marks at all. It takes a lot of coats (8), but man the boards look like you sprayed them. Just my two cents...
yerfdog22
Cornhole Rookie
Cornhole Rookie

Postby fhinsfan on Sun Aug 01, 2010 7:49 am

Thanks alot
fhinsfan
Cornhole Rookie
Cornhole Rookie

Postby Naperville Bags on Mon Aug 02, 2010 3:12 pm

I found the same problem with the brightness of the glossy, so I use semi gloss here. I mainly use the minwax polycrylic, but sometimes I go with the polyurethane. When doing the polyurethane, I use the foam brushes so I can just throw them out after I am done. I stick them in a zip lock bag between coats to keep them healthy. I only use a brush when doing the polycrylic. If you have a good brush, you get nice thick and even coats. I realize the foam brushes are "cheap" but if you start to figure how many you go through, it gets a little expensive. I know its only dollar a pop or so, but thats a dollar extra on each board set. Plus the gas you spend to go o the store to get them, etc... Lord knows, I would get ready to poly a set, and realize I am all out of foam brushes, now I have to run to the store and buy more brushes, now I lost an hour of work, etc... It just keeps adding up.
Naperville Bags
Cornhole Pro
Cornhole Pro

Postby yerfdog22 on Fri Aug 13, 2010 8:59 am

By cutting the poly...it dries faster. Plus, I don't clean out a brush, buy foam applicators, or any of the sort. I use torn old white t-shirts to wipe it on. I can wipe on a coat in seconds and repeat in 1&1/2 hours. I can coat a set in one day... Not saying you can't get a good finish with a brush or foam, but to keep build cost down...this is the cheapest.
yerfdog22
Cornhole Rookie
Cornhole Rookie

Postby M3Neal86 on Fri May 12, 2017 3:49 pm

Def the minwax polycrylic semi gloss and don't shake can stir it and use 4" brush or foam brush....3-4 light coats and then lightly sand it with fine sand paper and then another 4-6 coats to what ever you prefer...24-48 Hrs to cure and dry and good Togo...mine lasted the summer prob played cple times a week 8-10 weeks and 1 weeks played everyday stored indoors for winter and used them for cple months in spring before I went back to sand again lightly to get any dirt or marks off and put another 2-3 coats maybe even 4....good as new....I have gone to a few organized tournaments and all the boards being used were painted with same minwax polycrylic semi gloss for the top coats...but I have seen a lot of high gloss or satin even...they all will have the slide and slippery surface it all depends on how much use the boards get... and more you use them the more you adjust to the slide and before you know it all 4 bags land in the brown hole Lol or what ever you want to call it...
M3Neal86
Cornhole Rookie
Cornhole Rookie

Return to Building & Customization