The Cornhole Game Player's Community

Building boards in stop-motion

Anything & everything cornhole related goes in here. Favorite stories, your personal slang, playing tips, etc.

Building boards in stop-motion

Postby eastenn on Thu Sep 12, 2013 7:16 pm

I decided to try and film the build of a set of boards using stop-motion which is a video made of a lot of still frame images captured at short intervals (every 3 seconds for my vid). I thought it turned out pretty neat, thought you guys might like to see it as well!

eastenn
Cornhole Addict
Cornhole Addict

Re: Building boards in stop-motion

Postby Louis Clarke II on Fri Sep 13, 2013 4:43 am

Pretty cool.
Louis Clarke II
Cornhole Addict
Cornhole Addict

Postby Utah_Cornhole on Fri Sep 13, 2013 9:04 am

That is awesome bud! Nice work too.
Utah_Cornhole
Cornhole Player
Cornhole Player

Postby eastenn on Fri Sep 13, 2013 9:28 am

Thanks guys! I've got another one I need to put up as well.
eastenn
Cornhole Addict
Cornhole Addict

Postby Toddler on Sat Sep 14, 2013 4:14 pm

Very cool!
Holy Cornhole!
visit us at www.facebook.com/holycornhole or www.holycornhole.com
Toddler
Cornhole Pro
Cornhole Pro

Postby Jeremy on Wed Sep 18, 2013 12:32 pm

This is really cool. Thanks for sharing!

What did you use to shoot/film it?
Jeremy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby eastenn on Wed Sep 18, 2013 12:47 pm

No problem! It was an app I downloaded onto my iPad called istopmotion. With it you can download a remote camera app on your phone and use it as the camera.
eastenn
Cornhole Addict
Cornhole Addict

Postby Jeremy on Fri Sep 20, 2013 2:35 pm

That's all from an iPhone? Impressive.
Jeremy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby eastenn on Fri Sep 20, 2013 5:51 pm

Yes it is. The original capture is in HD and great quality, I sized it down to upload to YouTube!
eastenn
Cornhole Addict
Cornhole Addict

Postby hondo on Mon Sep 23, 2013 9:17 pm

Thanks for sharing that. As I've said before, your boards rock. But I never imagined that you never touch a spray gun! That's a ton of hand work, man....so, what's the deal with that? You don't like to spray, or you're just totally accustomed to doing it all by hand, or what?? I love the overhang on the sides - totally classy looking IMO. I haven't seen many like that. Also - I see you're using blue tape and then shagging along every line, which is time consuming. I use Frog Tape for my lines and get great results without shagging....sometimes I'll need to touch up a couple of tiny spots that bleed under, but I swear by that stuff. The only time it's failed me is when I've applied it when it's been too cold in my shop (it likes to shrink up and lift off the board when cold) or if I don't do a good job checking it to make sure that all lines are 100% sealed before spraying. Not being critical, just trying to help if I can. Awesome video!
hondo
Cornhole Veteran
Cornhole Veteran

Postby eastenn on Mon Sep 23, 2013 11:21 pm

Thanks a lot! I have used spray a couple times before, early on. It seemed to take a lot of spray to get even coverage and not see wood grain through it. Also, working out of my basement that presents a couple problems for me. First off is the overspray, it was settling on anything close. Second, there's really not any ventilation and even with my garage doors open it wouldn't really pull the vapor out...so it was kinda spray and run lol.

As for the blue tape and shaggy method, it's just what I learned and it works for me. It doesn't seem to take any extra time in the grand scheme. Also I never hardly paint logos anymore, most of my painting is solid, borders, stripes or triangles.

For the board design, I went through a few versions before kinda settling in on this one. There's a few reasons I like it. It looks good, it's faster and easier to build for me, it looks like the ACO boards, they're stiff and they don't seem to walk bad.

Thanks again for complimenting my boards, I do take pride in them!
eastenn
Cornhole Addict
Cornhole Addict

Postby hondo on Tue Sep 24, 2013 10:12 pm

eastenn wrote:working out of my basement that presents a couple problems for me. First off is the overspray, it was settling on anything close. Second, there's really not any ventilation and even with my garage doors open it wouldn't really pull the vapor out...so it was kinda spray and run lol.

I kind of figured that might be your reason for not spraying, but I had to ask anyway....

As for shagging your lines, I think you owe it to yourself to at least experiment with the Frog Tape a time or two. Just sayin....If the plywood you're using is good and smooth, you won't have bleed problems. It's a couple $ more costly than blue tape and it's only available in two widths that I know of (.94" and 1.4"), which kind of sucks, but I've found it to be a real time saver and I've made it my standard for outlines, bordered triangles, and stripes.
hondo
Cornhole Veteran
Cornhole Veteran

Return to General Cornhole Discussion